Saturday, April 11, 2009

birthday dinner, healthy style


For Jay's birthday, I couldn't make anything but a healthy meal. We had just spent the past two days eating and eating and eating and eating. To make up for the fact that we weren't going to have his requested meal of garlic bread with cheese and chicken wings, I tried to make dinner really tasty and with love.
To make the hummus, just pulse the following in a food processor: 14 oz can of chickpeas, chopped clove of garlic, couple glugs of olive oil, spoonful of tahini, juice from half a lemon, pinch of Spanish smoked paprika, pinch of cumin, salt & pepper. To smooth it out, sometimes I had a splash of water. I put it in a bowl and drizzled with my best olive oil.

To make the pita chips: split a pocket-pita so that you have two thin pieces, cut into triangles, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and chopped fresh rosemary. Broil for 4 minutes at 400 degrees.

The chicken skewers were adapted from a recipe for Swordfish Soulvaki in Bonnie Stern's Friday Night Dinners book.

Basically, I marinated chunks of chicken for a few minutes in olive oil, lemon zest, chopped garlic, oregano and salt & pepper. Then I put them on metal skewers and BBQ'd carefully on low. I also made a "dressing" for the chicken that I poured on after the skewers were cooked. The dressing was 1/3 lemon juice, 2/3 olive oil, fresh thyme, salt & pepper. Very simple but extremely flavourful.

Greek salad is a staple in our home. Last night I made Aunt Shelley's version but with a twist. Combine chopped Romaine lettuce, green onion, Persian cucumbers and tomatoes. Top with fresh chopped thyme and parsley. Sprinkle with feta, garlic powder, kosher salt and ground pepper. Toss with olive oil and white vinegar.

Tonight it's a sushi party with Ted from Tiki Sushi. Check back tomorrow for photos. Check out Tiki Sushi by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment