Monday, August 31, 2009

mishka's visit

On Friday, my dear friend Mishka drove from Toronto to Windsor in the rain. And, when she arrived it was still raining and cold. Talk about dreary. The weather warranted a special meal for a special friend.

Homemade pesto with buffalo mozzarella and roasted red peppers
~Throw a few handfuls of basil leaves, a small handful of toasted pinenuts, some shredded parmesan, juice from 1/2 lemon, pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper in a small food processor. Pulse. Eat.~
To warm us up, I decided to make Jamie Oliver's Chicken and Leek Pot Pie (you can find the recipe in his book Jamie's Dinners). Unfortunately, I forgot to take the puff pastry out of the freezer (and I don't bake!) so we decided to eat the filling as a stew served on top of mashed red potatoes. I wish this would have photographed better because it was damn tasty.
A rainy day is a perfect day for comfort food. I'm sure you can agree.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious - Mishka is very lucky to have had this meal cooked after a long drive in the rain!

    Check out my garlic scape pesto recipe here:

    http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2009/09/garlic-scape-pesto-la-dorie.html

    ReplyDelete